[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Renton Call #2

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Aug 12 15:47:27 EDT 2010

_Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Vincent Marchini, Ameritech, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Rich Morihara, Boeing, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA

_Apologies for Absense_
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden

We continued our discussion of the scope of the demonstration. It was
observed that the FARO arm we will be using for the demonstration is
less accurate than the machine tool probe. Therefore, we will not be
showing any improvements if we use the arm instead of a probe to measure
the setups. However, it was also observed that maybe this is a good
thing because if the arm is less accurate then we will obviously not be
trying to convince anyone that the technology being shown is a better
way to make parts. Instead we will be showing a proof of concept of
closed loop machining using STEP-NC and if anyone needs to be impressed
we will start whirling our arms and talking about the machine to measure
demonstration we want to do next.

Thus our goals for the demonstration are as follows:
1. Develop and test a closed loop machining extension for STEP-NC.
2. Verify the ST-Machine software can manage probing operations for a
part with multiple setup's.

We discussed the tasks that need to be completed for the next
demonstration. A list of action items has been developed and the list
was extended during the call.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Actions.txt

We discussed measurement features and the closed loop machining model.
Measurement features were developed for AP-219 but have not yet been
implemented in any software. In STEP-NC there are many geometry models
and some manufacturing feature models but as yet no measurement feature
model. We could add the AP-219 measurement feature model to STEP-NC but
the first feature we want to test is an axis2_placement_3d as defined by
three faces. There is no equivalent feature in AP-219 though one could
be constructed from two edges. We decided to not add any measurement
features to STEP-NC in this round and instead measure the geometry
directly. The closed loop machining model has been revised to make it
clear that there are no measurement features. The new version is on the
ftp site.
ftp://www.steptools.com/private/Renton/Closed_loop_model.txt

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday August 18.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
David Odendahl to make an AP-203 model of the probe used on the Boeing
Okuma machine.
David Loffredo to begin mapping the closed loop machining model into the
AP-238 AIM
Rich Morihara to measure an origin (with axes) using the FARO arm and to
send the data to STEP Tools