[step-manufacturing] Minutes of Conference Call #16

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Sat May 15 12:49:10 EDT 2010

_Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Chris Pfeifer CCAT, USA

_Apologies for Absence_
Aydin Nassehi, U.Bath, UK
Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Ian Stroud, Switzerland
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA

We had an extensive discussion on tool requirements. The STEP-NC data is
very prescriptive and seems to require the machinist to select tools
with exactly the specifications given in the AP-238 data. This is not
true and in many cases a wide range of tools would be acceptable but the
range is not being documented in the STEP-NC data. We agreed that the
cutting tool model in AP-238 should be enhanced to show the range of
acceptable values for each parameter and where reasonable give reasons
for the ranges. Fred Proctor agreed to make a draft and one has been
posted at the following address.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/tools/toolreqs-v3.txt

The cutting tool discussion was very extensive (more than 90 minutes) so
there was not much time for the other agenda items.

We agreed that there will be no registration fees for this meeting with
contributions for break refreshments being made on a voluntary basis. We
reviewed the agenda and made some minor changes in the time available.

Boeing and NIST will machine the boxy part this weekend and give
feedback on the next conference call.

The next call will be at the regular times on *Wednesday May 19*.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items