[step-manufacturing] Minutes of conference call #14

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Apr 28 17:12:48 EDT 2010

_Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Chris Pfeifer CCAT, USA
Fiona Zhao, NIST,/New Zealand
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Ian Stroud, Switzerland
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden

_Apologies for Absence_
Aydin Nassehi, U.Bath, UK
Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy

We compared the seven and eight setup versions of Boxy and agreed that
we should use the seven setup version for the demonstration.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Boxy_Part_3-Axis_Machining_7_Setups_v1.238

We discussed the requirements for fixturing each of the setups. Do the
spacers need to have minimum dimensions? How should the axes be zero'd
for each setup? etc. The fixture setup shown in Boxy is one way to make
the part but many others are possible. If a shop wants to change the
fixtures it should make a model of the new fixtures and then check to
make sure that there will be no errors in the machining.
The datum's should be used to set the offsets.

Our goal is to make it possible to machine the part using just the data
in an AP-238 file. In order to do so we need to document the necessary
requirements and to give guidance on possible options. Better
illustrations (presentation data)  may be able to make this easier along
with options to change aspects of the fixture such as the size of the
spacers, the position of the fixing and so on. We will discuss how to
enhance the setup instructions and methods at the NIST meeting.

Bengt Olsson of Sandvik showed an early release of a program to create
ISO 13399 tooling data by assembling components in a tooling station.
The software reads STEP models of the components and creates an assembly
and sets the corresponding tooling attributes in an ISO 13399 file.
Versions of the data can be made at design time with the ideal
dimensions and at run time with the actual length of the tool as defined
by the clamping set in the tooling station.

For the demonstration we will use both ISO 13399 and AP-203 e2 data to
document the tool requirements. Sandvik will make an ISO 13399 file
describing the required tool attributes (stick out, shank diameter,
cutting length) etc. Boeing will make an AP-203 e2 model showing the
shape of the tool with the required dimensions documented using the ISO
13399 standard terminology as presentation items on the AP-203 e2 data.

We briefly discussed the drilling and tapping operations. These are
still set to the default values computed for the Aluminum version of
Boxy made for the Bath meeting. Sandvik will edit the Boxy data to set
the feeds and speeds to more appropriate values for the ISO 1.3 Steel
(US Grade 1060) being used for this demonstration.

We reviewed the integrated machining and measurement model proposed as a
framework for the next round of demonstrations. There was agreement that
the Measured_workingstep entity should be useful as a way to document
when a workingstep needs to be measured (checked). We discussed how to
model the accuracy attributes necessary to determine if such checking is
necessary. There was agreement that accuracy modeling is a rich domain
with many attributes but for most practical purposes the accuracy
requirements can be captured as +/- values for the X, Y and Z axes.

We discussed the number of tolerances measured in a measured_workingstep
and agreed that there will be situations where many tolerances need to
be measured.

The evaluation_workingstep was discussed and we decided it was probably
redundant because similar concepts are already exist in the HiPP model.

The compensation_workingstep appears to be useful and should be explored
during the next demonstration cycle.

We decided that the frequency of the conference calls should be
increased to weekly until the demonstration takes place.

The STRL demonstration or demonstrations will be discussed on the next
call. STEP Tools is working on a high level process planning
demonstration. U.Bath is working on a toolpath planning demonstration.
Ideas for other demonstrations are welcome.

The next call will be at the regular times on *Wednesday May 5*. The
video of this call is at the address below.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/stepmanuf_telecon_20100428.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
Sandvik to make ISO 13399 models for the cutting tools.
Boeing to make AP-203 e2 presentation models for the cutting tools.
Sandvik to check the machining data for the drilling workingsteps