[step-manufacturing] Minutes of conference call #11

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Mar 18 13:57:16 EDT 2010

_Attendees_
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Fred Proctor, NIST, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Mikael Hedlind, KTH, Sweden
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Anna Valente, ITIA-CNR, Italy
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Chris Pfeifer CCAT, USA

_Apologies for Absence_
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Aydin Nassehi, U.Bath, UK
Stephen Newman, U.Bath, UK
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Alain Brail, AlBavis,  France
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney, USA
Ian Stroud, Switzerland
Fiona Zhao, NIST, New Zealand

The latest version of Boxy includes toolpaths for half inch tooling. The
data has been simulated by Sandvik using Vericut. Boeing will compute
Cross Section data for the new toolpaths.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Boxy_Part_3-Axis_Machining_12_Setups_v5.238
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/v5_VCUT_Fanuc_3axis.wmv

KTH will create new stock models and organize the data into eight setups
to reduce the machining time. They will add fixture models for the setups

The HiPP model extends AP-238 for inspection process planning and
measurement using constructs originally developed for AP-203e2, AP-219
and ISO 14649 part 16. Fiona Zhao has recently joined NIST as a guest
researcher from the University of Auckland where she investigated the
HiPP model as part of her Ph.D thesis research. We are hoping that she
will be able to help us document and test the HiPP model so that we can
make it part of AP-238 Edition 2. To make this happen we need to
document how to use HiPP with documentation similar to ISO 14649 parts
10 and 11 and we need to extend the AIM of AP-238 to include the
relevant portions of the AIM models already developed for AP-219 and
AP-203 e2.

The KTH machine tool model is being developed as a Usage Guide for
AP-214. The model includes fixture definitions as well as machine tool
definitions. For the machine tool model section it is using ISO 14649
part 110 to define its requirements. The advantage of developing the
machine tool model as a Usage Guide is that existing CAD systems with
AP-214 translators can be used to create machines defined by the model.
To add these models to AP-238 Edition 2 we need to extend AP-238 to
include more of the entities in AP-214. In particular, we need to add
the entities in the AP-214 kinematics model to AP-238. A presentation on
thee machine tool and fixture usage guide will be given in the next
conference call.

The desired contents of AP-238 Edition 2 will be discussed at the NIST
meeting. To prepare for the possibility of an extended discussion, we
will reserve the conference facilities for a third day (Friday June 18).

We talked briefly about the meeting invitation. We may want to produce
two invitations: a one day invitation for those interested in seeing the
demonstration, and a two or three day invitation for those who wish to
participate in the Edition 2 discussions.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/Spring10MeetingInvitation.doc

The next call will be at the regular times on Wednesday March 31st. A
video of this call is on the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/NIST/stepmanuf_telecon_20100317.wmv

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader STEP-Manufacturing

Action Items
----------------
Boeing to prepare Cross Section data for the half inch tooling.
STEP Tools to extend the STEP-NC Explorer so that fixtures can be
defined for each setup
NIST to reserve the conference facilities for an extra day and to
investigate getting the government rate for the conference hotel
KTH to develop a 3 axis version of Boxy with 8 setups, fixture data and
improved stock models
KTH to prepare a presentation on the Machine Tool and Fixture Usage
guide for the next conference call
NIST to investigate the feasability of developing 14649 documentation
for the HiPP model