[step-manufacturing] Conference call minutes

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Aug 13 17:07:28 EDT 2009

Attendees
---------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools
David Loffredo, STEP Tools
Alain Brail, AlBavis
Leon Xu, Boeing
Brian Kindilein, CCAT
Mikael Hedlind, KTH
Magnus Lundgren, KTH
David Odendahl, Boeing
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik
Ian Stroud, EPFL
Fred Proctor, NIST
Kevin Lyons, NIST

Apologies for Absence
--------------------------------
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo

We reviewed the feed speed editor. The functionality looks good. We
should add a third field to show the chip load per tooth. The user
should be able to change this load and have the feed and speed adjust
automatically. The editor should be able to adjust the computation so
that the maximum feed or speed is not exceeded. The editor should be
able to perform its calculations using the as-planned or actual
number of flutes on each tool.

We reviewed the new data for the Boxy part. Version 7.19 of the
STEP-NC Explorer is able to simulate the machining of this part. The
simulation is for a four axis machine and requires the Negative A
trunnnion to be selected as the machine tool. To avoid collisions the
part must be moved by 0.1 meters in the Z direction using the
Motion/Adjust Mounting Placement command.

For the Bath meeting we would like to be able to simulate the
machining of this part on 3-axis and 5-axis machines. STEP Tools is
working to extend the explorer so that end users can create new
workplans, move workingsteps between workplans and define setups for
the workplans. A suggestion was made that it might be possible to
define a function to create the setup's automatically using the
orientation of the machine being featured and/or the orientation of
the toolpaths.

We discussed the CAD models for the two parts. We decided that the
dimension annotations for the tools in Moldy should be shown as mm
values instead of inches because the numbers are more logical in
these units. We decided that GD&T data should be created for the
in-process models in the Boxy. A pdf file showing these dimensions is
on the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Bath/Boxy_Part.pdf

We reviewed the draft agenda for the Bath meeting. Several minor
changes were made and the Meeting Invitation and Registration Forms
are now in preparation.

The next conference call will be at the regular times on Wednesday August 26.

Action items
1.   STEP Tools to add chip load per tooth functionality to the feed
speed editor of the Explorer.
2.   STEP Tools to add functionality to allow users to create their own setups.
3.   Boeing to change dimensions of tool annotations in Moldy to mm.
4.   KTH and Boeing to create GD&T data for the Boxy in-process models.
5.   STEP Tools and U.Bath to prepare the meeting invitation and
registration form.