[step-manufacturing] Minutes of fourteenth conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Apr 22 12:59:41 EDT 2009

Attendees
---------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools
David Loffredo, STEP Tools
Mikael Hedlind, KTH
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik
Alain Brail, AlBavis
Fred Proctor, NIST
Chris Pfeifer, CCAT
David Odendahl, Boeing
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing
Leon Xu, Boeing
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo
Bob Erickson, Pratt & Whitney

Boeing has machined the first part. After visual inspection they
believe it meets the required surface finish and surface profile tolerances.

An issue was found during the machining. An unexpected start point
caused the machining to be too close to the fixture holes and this
will make others nervous when they first machine the part. We will
create new AP-238 data that corrects this issue. The new data will
also fix a discrepancy between the tool diameters as set in the
AP-238 data and the tool diameters published in the text file on the
web site. Lastly the new data will use a new feature of the DLL to
set the tool overall assembly length from the Catia data.

The tools use imperial dimensions. Inch tools are available in the
USA and UK but difficult to obtain in Sweden. We will update the
Moldy_tools.rft file on the web site to give maximum and minimum
values for the tool diameters and radii to provide more flexibility.
The alternate plan is for Boeing to send its tools to KTH but because
of bureaucratic difficulties we need to decide if this approach is
going to be necessary before this Friday in order for them to receive
the tools by the end of the week.

The part made by Boeing will be carried to Mitutoyo in Krikland so
that they can test the measurement demonstration.

The next conference call will be held on Wednesday April 29th at the
usual times.

Recordings of this conference call and the thirteenth conference call
are at the ftp addresses below.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Vancouver/stepmanuf_telecon_20090415.wmv
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/Vancouver/stepmanuf_telecon_20090422.wmv

Action items