[step-manufacturing] Minutes of fifth conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Dec 15 16:04:31 EST 2008

Attendees
---------------
Matthew Lloyd, CCAT
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, Inc.
Mikael Hedlind, KTH
Magnus Lundgren, KTH
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik
Fred Proctor, NIST
Ian Stroud, EPFL
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing
David Odendahl, Boeing
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo
John Horst, NIST
Bruce Wiener, Geometric Technologies, Inc

Apologies for absence
--------------------------------
Gary Hargreaves, Mastercam
Xun Xu, University of Auckland/TU Aachen
Aydin Nassehi, University of Bath
Stephen Newman, University of Bath
Alain Brail, AlBavis
Bob Erickson, Pratt and Whitney

We discussed how to place a STEP-NC program into a machine tool model
for simulation. Machine tools have a gauge line on the spindle that
defines the origin of the tool length. They have an origin that
usually corresponds to an XY in the middle of the machine bed and a Z
that is the same as the gauge point. Older machine tools have a home
position that is at the extreme range of the X, Y and Z axis but this
is less common on more modern machine tools that can determine their
position on start up using internal gauges.

The geometry assembly for the KTH model has it origin at the machine
tool origin. For other machine tools we may need to define the
relationship between the assembly geometry origin and the machine origin.

The tool length is defined by the overall assembly length attribute
in a STEP-NC file and by the functional length attribute in an ISO
13399 file. These lengths define the distance from the gauge line to
the functional cutting point. The physical tool can be longer. In an
ISO 13399 file the physical length is defined by the protruding
length attribute. In an AP-238 file it is defined by the shape of the
cutting tool geometry.

The machine tool simulation software currently has the ability to
define the geometry of the machine from an AP-203 assembly and to
define which components of that machine are attached to each axis of
the machine. For the next stage we will define an interface that can
be used to place the STEP-NC part onto the machine tool.  We will
then be able to simulate machining for the four categories of machine
tools currently supported in the library - Gantry, Fixed Spindle, AB
table tilt and BC table tilt.

CCAT has given us a model of the DMU e70 used to machine the impeller
in the last demonstration.

The University of Bath has given us the latest version of the EXPRESS
schema for the STEP-NC machine tool model.

The STEP Tools translator for Mastercam has been updated so that it
can translate the program nesting hierarchy in a Mastercam file into
nested workplans in a STEP-NC file.

We discussed two issues related to the translation of the Mastercam
signature part to STEP-NC. The first arose because this file contains
arc's in the YZ and ZX planes. If Mastercam can define arc's in these
planes then there was a concern as to whether or not helix's might
also be defined in these planes. The current STEP-NC definition given
in the Technical Corrigendum (TC) for a helix using via points
requires the axis of the underlying circle to be defined from the
tool axis. This dependency can be removed if we require an additional
via point to be defined for each helix (the start point and two via
points will then define the plane and the end point will define the
depth). We decided NOT to change the TC at this time but to retain
the alternate definition in case it is needed in the future.

The second issue arose because Mastercam can define multiple machine
tool groups. Each group defines a different machine tool. Therefore,
when a program is translated to STEP-NC we may need to create
multiple STEP-NC programs one for each machine plus a Master program
that shows the relationship between the sub-programs. In AP-203 e2,
an assembly component can be defined by an external file. In AP-238
we may want to allow a machining operation to be defined by an
external file so that one AP-238 program can define a machining
operation for another AP-238 program. STEP Tools will continue to
investigate this possibility.

The current plan for the next physical meeting is to spend one day at
Boeing (May 14) for machining demonstrations, one day at Mitutoyo
(May 15) for measurement demonstrations, two days at SC4 for
technical discussion (May 18 & 19) and half a day at SC4 (May 20) for
the implementor's forum. The URL for the SC4 meeting is:

http://www.eccma.org/2009isosc4%20conf/iso-sc42009.html

Bengt Olsson has sent APT and IGES data to STEP Tools for the Tebis
"mushroom" part.

The next conference call will be held after the Christmas break on
Wednesday January 7th at the usual times.

Action items
1.   STEP Tools to extend the machine tool simulation software to
include the placement of a STEP-NC part onto the machine
2.   Fred Proctor to contact Keith Freimuth to see if we can get
access to his library of machine tool models