[step-manufacturing] Minutes of tenth call for Oct 1 meeting

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Aug 4 10:40:35 EDT 2008

Attendees
---------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, Inc.
Fred Proctor, NIST
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing
Leon Xu, Boeing
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo
Xun Xu, NIST guest researcher
Mikael Hedlind, KTH
Peter Klein, Concepts Nrec

Apologies for absence
--------------------------------
Alain Brail, Airbus
Matthew Lloyd, CCAT
David Odendahl, Boeing
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik

There was a discussion on how to establish a datum for the
orientation of the blades. The Sandvik data does not define such a
datum because it is unnecessary before machining. We agreed to define
a rotational datum using two target points. The first is to be the
probe point at the bottom of the blade and the second is to be the
same point at the opposite side of the blade. Larry Maggiano will
write-up a document describing how to establish the datum. Martin
Hardwick will extend the STEP-NC explorer so that it supports this
kind of datum. Datum's defined by targets are supported by both the
AP-203 e2 and AP-238 information models but they have not been
required in previous demonstrations.

The specifications for the DMG 70eVol that will be installed at UTRC
were discussed. The machine will have a Siemens control. The machine
will have an infrared Renishaw OMP60 probe and we need to decide if
we want to use this probe to assist the set-up. The machine should be
installed by the end of August. The specification has been posted at:

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CCAT/UTRC_DMU_70_eVo_United.pdf

There was a discussion on the Demonstration Scenario. We agreed to
add an icon showing feed-speed optimization because we will be using
it to generate feeds and speeds that reduce bending of the cutting
tools and impeller blades during machining. We agreed that more
details need to be shown on the feed-speed optimization, on how data
will be transferred to the FARO Arm, and on how the operator will
evaluate the results of the measurement for conformance to the AP-203
e2 design specifications. New versions of the Scenario diagram and
script have been posted to the ftp site.

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CCAT/Visio_CCAT_CloseMachining_20080730.pdf
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CCAT/ccat_scenario_20080730.doc

There was a discussion on how the FARO arm will be used to measure
the blade during machining. There was some confusion because the
input spreadsheet includes both points and surface normal vectors.
The procedure necessary to measure the surfaces will be more complex
if the normals must also be computed. The MAX 5 software that will be
used to compute the new tool paths only needs the points. The typical
surface profile tolerance for an impeller blade is +/- two
thousandth's of an inch. We should be able to show how to measure the
98 points to this tolerance using the FARO arm in 15 minutes or less.

There was a discussion on testing. Boeing plans to begin testing
using a part machined in foam as soon as possible. The testing will
be performed using a Fanuc control. They are waiting on delivery of
the cutting tools and cutting tool data from Sandvik.

Registrations for the meeting are being received. Please register as
soon as possible using the exploder at
meeting_registration at steptools.com. This is also a good place to send
any questions that you have about the meeting.

The next conference call will be on Wednesday August 13.

Action items
Larry Maggiano to produce a 1-2-3 write up describing how to
establish the rotation datum.
Martin Hardwick to extend the STEP-NC Explorer to support target-datums.
Xun Xu to update the Scenario diagram and write up as more details on
the demonstration become available.
Sid Venkatesh to develop input data for the FARO arm from the spreadsheet data.
Bengt Olsson to deliver the cutting tools to Boeing.