[step-manufacturing] RE: Meeting schedule for WG7 and SC1 in Frankfurt/Germany

Stroud Ian Anthony ian.stroud at epfl.ch
Fri Aug 17 04:07:50 EDT 2007

Dear Martin Hardwick and Everyone,

This is just to inform you that I intend to attend the Frankfurt SC1/WG7 meeting.  You mentioned that Mr. Sakamoto will represent T24, is there any particular question that is due to be discussed?

I have a couple of comments about your mention of Professor Suh's patent.  First of all, I think that this is now a tendency, to protect academic research by patents because industry has, in the past, been all too ready to exploit published academic research without reimbursing either the original researchers or the funding agencies.  This area of Intellectual Property seems very fuzzy and patent applications seem a natural tool for protecting researcher's interests.  I see what look suspiciously like my published algorithms in CAD systems and I certainly haven't received any royalties.  More importantly, since academics are now evaluate, probably almost everywhere, the lack of credit by commercial companies is a problem.  Forcing commercial companies to acknowledge their use of academic work is also important.  Finally, as far as I can see, Professor Suh's patent is a protection for further research.  It is far better that the patent is in the hands of one of us than in the hands of some commercial vendor who might limit our research.  I certainly trust Professor Suh not to block either academic or commercial developments.  Even if a fee is payable to cover the cost of the original patent application I would be able to justify a one-off payment as part of a project.  Is this to be discussed in Frankfurt?

Best regards - Ian Stroud