Proposal for White paper debate on Wednesday Afternoon in San Diego

Mak, Helium Helium.Mak at nrc.ca
Fri Dec 13 12:09:15 EST 2002

Dear All,

Sorry that I could not be with you in the Seoul meeting because of budget
constraints. I fully support this debate. I think this is the right time (or
slightly overdue) to settle this issue. My view is, unless ALL the vendors
can provide both interfaces simultaneously for the price of one, we will
create incompatibility issue on the shop floor.

The debate on AP238 or 14649 is more like Betamax or VHS. Both can do the
job, one is more technologically pure. However the users only need one. We,
as standard developer, should not allow our users/vendors to suffer the same
pain as in the case of the war between Betamax and VHS. How many of you
curse Sony because you had purchased the Betamax VCR?

I hope the outcome of the debate will allow us to choose one, whichever
AP238 or 14649, but one!

Regards,

  Helium Mak
  National Research Council Canada.