AP-238 DIS is available for review

st-announce at steptools.com st-announce at steptools.com
Mon Nov 1 16:46:03 EST 2004

All,

The Draft International Standard of AP-238 is now available at on the
TC184-SC4 documents web site as wg3n1534, and will soon be circulated
by the various national standards organizations. We have also posted
it below for those who do not have access to the SC4 site:

ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/ap238/ap238_dis_package.zip

At a moment like this, it is important to look back and recognize all
those involved for the hard work they put into this document. I would
especially like to thank:

Len Slovensky of SCRA for his help harmonizing the features of AP-224
and ISO 14649. Alan Crawford of LSC for being the project editor and
also helping us to harmonize the features. Gerry Radack of CTC for
helping us review the document for conformance to the Application
Protocol guidelines and many helpful suggestions on making the
document easier to understand. David Odendahl and Mauro Costa of
Boeing for helping us understand how to model CNC independent tool
paths. Sid Venkatesh for his continuing assistance in organizing the
OMAC forum for testing AP-238. Tom Kramer, Fred Proctor and John
Michaloski of NIST for helping us to improve the quality of the
EXPRESS models. Bill Freeman of SCRA for his leadership within STEP on
the deployment of AP-224 and the development of the STEP Manufacturing
Suite of AP's.

In addition we owe a big a thanks to the ISO TC184 SC1 team for
defining the information requirements of AP-238. They include:
Fredrich Glantschnig who lead the SC1/Wg7 project until recently.
The team at WZL TU Aachen who did most of the pioneering work and
especially Henning Schulze-Lauen, Jochen Wolf, Yong Tak Hyun who
helped us understand their work. Peter Muller of Siemens and the
convenor of SC1 for his support and assistance in bridging between
SC1 and SC4. Meinolf Groepper for his help in understanding the needs of
European users. Professor Suk-Hwan Suh and the team at POSTECH in
Korea for their work on the turning model and for using the lessons
learned on developing the milling model to make the turning model
even easier to harmonize.

Also we need to thank the members of the Super Model project
Industrial Review Board for helping us understand the requirements of
US industry. In particular, King Yee of Boeing, Carol Tierney of
General Dynamics Land Systems, Tony Haynes of NCMS, Bob Waite of
Chrysler, Darrol Houser and Steven Kamine of NASA JPL, Carla Mapes and
Johnny Barnes of IBM, Chen Han Lee of UGS, Gary Hargreaves of CNC
software and most of all John Callen of GibbsCAM for helping us to
understand the requirements of CAM and CNC processing. We also need to
thank Charlie Calderone and the staff at Benet Laborotories and Gary
LaDue and the staff at Watervliet Arsenal for providing us with the
facilities necessary to test the first prototypes of the standards.

We need to give special thanks to the team at Honeywell FM&T Kansas
who worked with us to develop the first AP-238 translator. In
particular Steve Brooks the system architect, Noel Christensen the
developer of the translator and Bill Simons the leader and tireless
advocate of this important technology.

We need to thank Xun Xu of the University of Aukland for his helpful
comments on the usability of AP-238. Ed Barkmeyer of NIST for helping
understand how to use XML. Ian Stroud of EPFL helped us understand how
to model the AIM better. Keith Hunten of Lockheed Martin helped us
resolve the mapping issues by encouraging us to develop more specific
subtypes for the process mappings. Tom Melson of Boeing helped us
understand advanced modeling techniques for surfaces. Howard Mason the
convenor of SC4 helped us with many procedural issues particularly
those pertaining to the relationship between SC4 and SC1. And the SC4
secretariat for always responding quickly to our requests.

We need to thank the Manufacturing Task force team for helping us map
out the information requirements of manufacturing applications. In
particular Professor Kisinami of Hokudai University who lead this
effort and Chiaki Sakamoto who has developed many test cases that have
helped us all understand the data requirements of manufacturing
applications immeasurably and has given us a substantial library of
test cases and test parts.

We need to thank the GD&T harmonization team and in particular Tom
Hendrix of Boeing who did the pioneering work to harmonize the
models of AP-224 and AP-214. We also need to thank Jonas Nordstrom
of Sandvik who helped us understand the requirements of the cutting
tool vendors and the team at KTH Sweden who worked with him on
these models. Ted Vorberger helped us understand the requirements of
CMM applications. Simon Frechette of NIST initiated the project that
achieved this harmonization and now allows all the AP's to use the
same model for GD&T just like they all use the same model for geometry.

Last but not least we must thank the employees of STEP Tools for their
tireless efforts. Especially David Loffredo who did all the editing
work and most of harmonization work on the AP and probably contributed
as much as everyone else combined. Joe Fritz who developed the software
to generate the XML examples and worked patiently through many iterations.
Jeffrey Young who developed the mapping table parser used by the XML
tools. And Alex Lipatov who developed the first viewers and editors
for AP-238 data and the first interfaces for Mastercam and GibbsCAM.

Mike Kutcher of IBM and STEP Tools and Marv Kriethen of Bridgeport
deserve special thanks for getting STEP Tools involved in the project.
Jack Boudreaux of NIST was our project supervisor. Ben Kassel of
NSWWC Carderock also gave us considerable assistance as did the ISE
shipbuilding team lead by Northrop Grumman and General Dynamics.

Finally I want to thank all of you for your patience and assistance
while we developed this new interface between CAM and CNC. I look
forward to working with you during the final phases of standardization
and for many years on its deployment and exploitation.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader SC4 T24 STEP-Manufacturing
President STEP Tools, Inc.
Professor of Computer Science, RPI