STEP Tools Weekly Newsletter for October 5

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Oct 1 15:48:09 EDT 1998

This weekly newsletter is a brief update of what is going on in STEP
and at STEP Tools, Inc.  If you want to know more, try the STEP Tools
web site (http://www.steptools.com) or the contact for each article.

--------------------
AUTOFACT 1998 a Big Success for STEP!

STEP was the talking point at last weeks AUTOFACT exposition and
conference. At previous AUTOFACT shows, we had a lot of visitors who
wanted to know: "What is STEP?"  At this show everybody wanted to know
if the rumors they were hearing were true: that many organizations are
using STEP; that some are achieving 98% success rates; and most
important, how are they getting this rate of success?

One visitor told us that he found out his company was using STEP
when a former COBOL programmer he hired confessed he didn't know
company policy and just started using it when he could not get
data to suppliers using IGES.

--------------------
ST-WebExchange at AUTOFACT

ST-WebExchange was shown at AUTOFACT. Many visitors showed great
interest because they want to extend an existing company technical
data web site with new services. The Translation Service seemed like
a good idea because then they can use it to let suppliers choose a
data format for data delivery, and the Visualization Service seemed
like a good idea because then they can let their suppliers look
at data before they downloaded it.

ST-WebExchange is a set of services that can be added to existing
web sites. It is a server based product that uses universally
available protocols (HTML and GIF) to deliver product data and
product data images to World Wide Web Browsers. You can add
ST-WebExchange to your file systems and databases and continue
to use your existing security polices. Contact us if you would like
a copy of a White Paper on ST-WebExchange. We will need you postal
address.

	info at steptools.com

--------------------
EXPRESS-X Demonstration in Beijiing

The ISO STEP organization is meeting this week in China.  This letter
was written before I left for China. We will be showing our EXPRESS-X
demonstration and discussing all the new protocols that are going to
become standards next year. More on this when I get back.

--------------------
Translation Service Statistics

	Total usage: 1340
	Successful usage: 929 (69%)
	Errors: 411 (30%)

--------------------
Resellers

Resellers for STEP Tools products are available in the following
geographic areas.  Please contact us if you would like further
information.

--North America
	Integrated Engineering Solutions, Iowa City IA
--Australia
	Logistics Pty Ltd., Victoria
--China
	C-STEP, Beijing