[wg11] P21 e3 DIS testing - status update

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Jun 27 06:08:03 EDT 2014

All,

Here is a quick status report on the four projects. Each of the projects
has its own ftp sub-directory that includes a README file with a fuller
description of the project.

ftp://www.steptools.com/private/P21e3_DIS_testing           (try
ftp.steptools.com if www.steptools.com does not work for you)

1. Digital signatures

Status
--------
a. We have updated the signature code to only make one section for each
signature (previous version spit the signature, key and certificate into
three sections).
b. We have updated the signature algorithm to ignore characters that are
not in the P21 character set
c. We have create a server and some example files to enable wider
testing (see README).

Issues and Opportunities
----------------------------------
a. Can we extend the signatures to assist in the management of data
networks?
b. If a signed file references another file and the signature of the
referenced file is invalid does that mean the signature of the
referencing file is also invalid?
c. NIST has a project called Product-Lifecyle-Of-Trust (PLOT) that may
be able to help us with further development and testing (see README
directory for one-page overview).

2. ZIP Assemblies

Status
--------
a. We have created the first example of a computer generated ZIP
Assembly file (see README)

Issues and Opportunities
----------------------------------
a. There are many files called "ISO-10303-21.txt" in the ZIP which has
the potential to cause data management and confusion issues.
b. Do we need to define a signature algorithm for ZIP files?
c. Should the next stage be to create an e3 file for the PDM in the
assembly?

3. Units

Status
--------
a. Extensive discussions have shown that the definition of units is
jealously guarded between the ISO committees and (perhaps as a result)
the URN's created for the standard units
     are somewhat complex - for example urn:iso:std:iso:31:term:metre

Issues and Opportunities
a. W3C has loosened the requirements for URN's so we may be able to
define unit URNs just for Part 21 e3 files - for example urn:p21:metre
b. Do we want to use URN's to define other types of repetitive STEP
entities such as the APPLICATION_PROTOCOL_DEFINITION entity instance
e.g.  urn:step:AP242
c. Are fancy URN's with query parameters allowed? If so then we may be
able to use these to define date-times and similar repetitive entity sets

Martin