[wg11] Wider testing for Part 21 edition 3 digital signatures

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Jun 18 19:22:51 EDT 2014

All,

We are now ready to do some wider testing of the digital signature
functionality. There is an open source code base at the following URL
for a windows batch program called STEPAuth.
http://tinyurl.com/STEPAuth

The STEPAuth program is run from the windows command line and has the
following three options:

STEPAuth    CSR                -- You use this once to make a private
key and a certificate request
STEPAuth    SIGN               -- You use this to sign files
STEPAuth    VERIFY            -- You use this to verify that a file has
not been changed since it was signed and/or to check the authenticity of
the signature

When you run STEPAuth CSR the system will get some information from you
and make a private key file (that you should keep secret) and a
certificate request file (.csr). The certificate request has to be
authorized before it can be used to sign files. We can delegate the
authorization functionality but for the moment you need to send the .csr
file to us at certificate at steptools.com.

We suggest you put the .csr file into a ZIP before transmission.  It is
quite possible that one or more e-mail systems will refuse the
transmission and if this is the case then we will have to setup ftp sites.

We will send you a certificate (in a ZIP). This certificate will have
the same name as your .csr file but with the extension .crt. Once you
have a certificate you will have everything you need to sign step files
as follows

STEPAuth SIGN <step_file to sign> <private_key> <certificate>

When you have signed a file you can verify whether the file has been
changed since the signature by the following command

STEPAuth VERIFY <step_file>

If you use the -v flag (e.g STEPAuth VERIFY signed_file.stp -v) then it
will also check that the signature has been properly authorized.

Martin