[wg11] units of measure, from Minutes of Part 21 E3 DIS testing telecon on June 5, 2914

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Jun 11 06:35:11 EDT 2014

Again my purpose is to investigate how P21 e3 might help. The most we
can venture is to produce some recommendations and examples.

My summary of the previous e-mails is that the ISO namespace <urn:iso>
is jealously guarded to keep the peace between the committees. We are
never going to be able to use it to make something easy for the
implementors.

However, before giving up on URN's I would like to get opinion on the
following: Can we define our own namespaces?

We might do this for each standard, or at the level of SC4.

For example, if we decide to use URNs to define units for STEP then
1. The URN for inch might be <urn:step:inch>;
2. The URN would be mapped by appropriate wording in the appropriate
place to the URL
<http://standards.iso.org/iso/10303/tech/reference_data/-41/units.stp#INCH>;
3. The URN would only have to have meaning for a STEP model.

We would then do the same for ifc <urn:ifc:inch> and iso15926
<urn:iso15926:inch> etc.

The appropriate wording in #2 could be words in the standards document,
or it could be a rule in the standards document telling you where to
find a server with the permitted URNs.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing