[wg11] WG11 Sessions in Stockholm

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at nist.gov
Mon May 14 12:07:54 EDT 2012

David Loffredo wrote:
> Nope, Keith Hunten would like to publish a TC to the first edition to
> add an ASN/1 identifier to the schema name.   It's not entirely clear
> how that would be done from the ISO procedural side.

Among things that are not entirely clear, let us start with WHY SC4
should want a "Technical corrigendum" that /adds a feature/ to Edition
1.  The long-standing practice of SC4 is to provide the ASN.1
identifiers in an Annex to the specification that defines the schemas.
I can only assume that the intent of this proposal must be to provide a
means of explicitly making those identifiers part of the schemas
themselves.  Such a change in practice would imply a host of TCorrs to
the family of SC4 published models -- a lot of formal paperwork to
provide syntax for what could be an implementors' agreement for an
implementation convention.  I suspect that the intent is rather to do
the corresponding TCorrs to one or two APs whose implementors care.

At the same time, I have to ask WHY NOT make the change to EXPRESS Ed2.
Is there some reason to suppose that the "one or two APs" of interest
are not valid EXPRESS Ed2 schemas?

It appears that Phil and I have come in in the middle of this movie.
Can someone please summarize the plot thus far?

-Ed