[wg11] RE: EXPRESS/Binary status?

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Fri Jan 7 06:47:58 EST 2005

All,

Apologies for not setting up the Lillehammer agenda for EXPRESS/Binary yet.
I will do so ASAP.

At the Seattle meeting we had good discussions regarding the candidate
technologies. Based on the feature review of HDF5 and experience reported by
Ed Barkmeyer on ASN1 we decided that the “first working draft” should be
based on HDF5. The meeting notes are document WG11N249 distributed Nov 11,
2004. See the link below.

http://www.tc184-sc4.org/SC4_Open/SC4_and_Working_Groups/WG11/N-DOCS/Files/w
g11n249_EXPBinSeattleNotes.rtf

Per-Ake Ling, a Eurostep developer, has started doing some work on this and
we’ll have that to report on. I am assuming others also have EXPRESS/HDF5
experience and hope they can describe that as well. So, in Lillehammer I was
expecting to have two full days to review and perform technical work on
EXPRESS/HDF5.

We had hoped to arrange a workshop before Lillehammer to do technical work
on this as well but scheduling was a problem before the holidays. I would be
happy to organize a workshop in London a couple of weeks prior to
Lillehammer if people are interested in that. I am also in conversations
with people at NIST on the possibility of  doing something Feb 7, 8 and/or 9
there but have no confirmation on that. More about the possibility of an
interim workshop will follow
.

Cheers,

David