[wg11] RE: [step-os] Part 28 comment JP-5 meets EXPRESS Ed.2

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Fri Sep 10 12:17:54 EDT 2004

Ed,

Very good point about Part 28 E1 DTD for EXPRESS not supporting EXPRESS 2.
Given that, I suggest falling back to one of my earlier suggestions:

Include the STEPMod DTD as an informative annex in Part 28 E2 - or run it
through an XML tool that translates DTDs to XML Schema and include that XML
Schema instead. As I've also mentioned, the STEPMod DTD uses very familiar
terms from Part 11 so I actually don't think there's any need for text to
describe what the elements are for... it's obvious if you know Part 11. By
definition, anyone implementing Part 28 E2 must be EXPRESS-literate. I
suggest an informative annex for two reasons: 1) other EXPRESS tool vendors
have not yet implemented the DTD and 2) the STEPMod developers will be less
concerned about SC4 standardizing something for an unintended purpose. I
grant that there are also good reasons to make it normative, but I expect
that would force people to review it seriously and want to change it.

Below is the extract of that DTD for entity data types and global rule so
you can see its approach :

<!ELEMENT entity (description?, explicit*, derived*, inverse*, unique*,
where*, graphic.element?)>
<!ATTLIST entity
	name NMTOKEN #REQUIRED
	abstract.entity (YES | NO) "NO"
	abstract.supertype (YES | NO) "NO"
	supertypes NMTOKENS #IMPLIED
	super.expression CDATA #IMPLIED

<!ELEMENT rule (description?, algorithm?, where+)>
<!ATTLIST rule
	name NMTOKEN #REQUIRED
	appliesto NMTOKENS #REQUIRED

<!ELEMENT algorithm (#PCDATA)>

Would this satisfy JP-5?

FYI, the graphic.element is an extension allowing an EXPRESS-G diagram to be
related to an entity type. As I said earlier, this DTD was aimed at being
part of a system for producing documentation. These extensions might be
useful to developers, and as long as the annex is informative, I see no
reason to remove them.

With respect to its use for other purposes, I'll add that this DTD is the
basis for the hardcoded Part 28 E2 EXPRESS-to-XML Schema that we implemented
and discussed at the STEP meetings. I've also used it for EXPRESS to UML
translations based on a subset of Part 25 and it seems sufficient.

Cheers,
David