[wg11] Re: [step-os] Using STEPMod XML Representation of EXPRESS

Mason, Howard (UK) howard.mason at baesystems.com
Thu Sep 9 05:08:31 EDT 2004

I think that there is scope here for an informed debate on exploiting the SC4 information models in the broader XML/UML environment.

A clear priority is to have an agreed XML representation of our models that can be broadly used.  This is a baseline capability which can be enhanced by other features to exploit XML technologies.

I also think there is a market for open source implementation tools to promote this work, linked into the rapidly evolving technologies for information transmission.  Such tools could be driven from the STEPmod repository, which is also used to generate the ISO standards.  By the way, much of the content of ISO standards is prescribed by international agreement - the rest is imposed by ourselves - SC4 is "us" not "them".

The issue of free availability is separate - we are suffering from having 11179 being promoted by JTC1 because it is free.

I also assume that Ed has not eaten in the UK recently, since there has been a significant change in UK restaurant culture.  It is possible to get food of dubious quality in the US, also!

I look forward to discussions in Seattle, between WG11 and the Industrial Data on teh Web group.

Howard Mason