[wg11] Re: [step-os] Using STEPMod XML Representation of EXPRESS

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Wed Sep 8 11:47:03 EDT 2004

All,

I checked the Part 28 E1 express DTD annex and there's no text at all. The
reader must look at Part 11 to figure out what each element means. Could
Part 28 E2 continue with that approach? If not, why not?

Also, I have to disagree with Ed about the free availability of
specifications being "totally irrelevant". I expect that means we are
talking about different things. I agree Josh's point is irrelevant with
respect to Part 28 Edition 2 and JP-5.

I think Josh's point is very important with respect to the open-source
projects and making EXPRESS/STEP more widely known. This discussion started
on the open-source exploder, not the WG11 exploder, and in that community
what Josh offered to do is very valuable.

I do not believe the text for the Part 28 E2 standard, if it is needed, is a
suitable replacement for the DTD user guide Josh proposed. I expect the user
guide would more closely resemble the text in Part 11 than anything Part 28
needs.

Cheers,
David