[wg11] Re: [step-os] Using STEPMod XML Representation of EXPRESS

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Tue Sep 7 20:34:15 EDT 2004

Ed and company,

To clarify, STEPMod is the modules publication infrastructure. As such, the
STEPMod DTD was based only on requirements for producing a documented schema
using XSLT. Requirements for any other use of EXPRESS (e.g. validating data
against EXPRESS rules or mapping to MathML) were not considered. I was
unaware of the Japanese ballot comment on Part 28 E2 and so can't comment on
their requirements. Adapting Part 28 E1 may be exactly what they want, or
they may need something else entirely.

The STEPMod DTD was not put through the ISO process because of the overhead
and delay involved and because it wasn't intended for use in Industrial Data
application scenarios - it just had to work for STEPMod, not be perfect. It
also seemed unnecessary to use ISO ballots to deal with the modules
publication infrastructure as any delay could mean a delay in getting an
AP/module approved. Personally, I doubt if the STEPMod developers are
convinced any benefits outweigh that risk, even today. One very practical
point is that I imagine putting the DTD through an SC4 ballot would result
in people wanting to "fix" bits they don't like and I am sure nobody who
funded STEPMod wants to fund changes to it based on the whims of a ballot
resolution workshop.

For the purpose of my particular open-source project, I've found the STEPMod
DTD sufficient. I was asking if others have had a similar experience. My use
of the term "de facto standard" seems to have raised concerns. Perhaps
"open-source implementers agreement" would have been more appropriate as I
intended on experimenting with adapting some UML concepts to EXPRESS and
sharing the code.

Regardless of anything else that might happen, I think Josh volunteering to
work on a user guide to be made freely available on the Web is great.

Cheers,
David