[wg11] RE: Specification of the AP Binding

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Jul 16 16:10:37 EDT 2004

At 03:21 PM 7/16/2004 -0400, Radack, Gerald wrote:
>Martin:
>
>The header also needs to be specified.  Will there be HEADER and DATA elements?  What will be the name of the top-level element?  Something like "ISO-10303-29"?

Yes we need to discuss the header(s). One of the differences in the XML world
is that the data may be distributed between many files. Therefore, for data
exchange we need to define what files need to be searched for entities.

I would also like to define another kind of header that can be used for
ARM objects (incomplete data sets). The goal is to let users start
building libraries of reusable objects.

I would like to leave this until we have finished discussing the data.

>Also, you should probably define a namespace for the keywords, (ISO-10303-29, HEADER, DATA, EXTERNAL-MAPPING, AGGREGATE, etc.).

We are trying to pick keywords that are EXPRESS keywords so there will be no
scope for conflicts. This is the reason for choosing <AGGREGATE> instead
of the shorter <AGG> and for choosing <NVL> as the null value.

We can put them into a namespace if that is the consensus.

>Should a namespace (generated from the schema name) be used for the entity and attribute names, also?

Schema specific namespaces will get in the way of interoperability between the
AP's and could be hard for the users to remember. I prefer to continue with
the current STEP solution which is for the AIM to register each entity
name so that there will be no conflict or ambiguity.

Opinions?

Martin