[wg11] Re: Part 28 Ballot Workshop

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at nist.gov
Mon Jun 14 13:00:24 EDT 2004

Guenter Staub wrote:

> Maybe it's a little bit late, but I want to ask if it is not possible, to
> have a workshop location more convenient for international attendees, i.e.
> close to an international airport. This is because the expected total travel
> time compared with the actual planned meeting time.
>
> I addition, do you think that a two and a half day workshop is enough to
> discuss all the anticipated (and probably controversial) comments?

I'm sure that a 2.5-day workshop cannot possibly resolve all the ballot
comments that are rumored to be in the works, but it can't resolve any
ballot comments if it doesn't have a quorum of NB representatives present.

With respect to anything resembling a plan for getting a Part 28 v2
standard, I am now completely confused.

What is the meeting in Bath going to accomplish?  Is the meeting in Bath
going to produce some kind of requirements document that is in addition
to the NB comments?  If not, is it going to assist the NBs in writing
comments and getting consistent positions on the changes to be made?

Will these comments, whatever they may be, be represented by persons at
the editing meeting?  Is the place and time of the editing meeting a
problem in getting such representation?

Or will we not know the answers to any of these questions until after
the meeting in Bath or after we see all the NB comments (c. 26 July)?

And since we will see the NB comments only 2 weeks before the meeting in
Groton, what can be done if the meeting arrangements are then obviously
unsatisfactory for resolution of the comments?  It seems to me that this
meeting has been scheduled much too early!  (I know Heidi has good reason.)

As David Loffredo says, it is the people who show up at the meetings and
conference calls that write the document.  That will be the case in
Groton.   OTOH, if the ballot comments require massive changes or new
features, there will be another meeting to discuss major changes that
can't possibly be resolved in 3 days in Groton, and some decisions that
get made in Groton will probably be undone by the later meeting (as has
occurred in other WG11 "continued" editing meetings).  So attending the
Groton meeting may then be a waste of time.

At this point I don't have any idea what the state of Part 28 will be by
mid-September, or how NIST might best influence it, should we bother to
continue participating.

-Ed

Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark at nist.gov
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8264                Tel: +1 301-975-3528
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8264                FAX: +1 301-975-4694

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."