[wg11] Follow the process for Part 28

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Thu May 20 18:26:01 EDT 2004

Hello Martin,

On:

> What we hope is that the good ideas of others will make these solutions
> even better and we do not want to cut them off by changing the agreed
> process.

I this response, and Ed's for that matter, quite confusing given the current
state of affairs. There's nothing sinister or against ISO policy going on
here.

Quoting Ed Barkmeyer in response to Mike Ward's report of a problem with uos
and substitution groups: "There is no way to conform to the CD and get this
right.  The question is: what set of CD changes do you expect after the
ballot?" So, a "stick our heads in the sand" approach isn't really viable.
We need this forum to discuss issues and, sometimes, even provisional
workarounds or else all P28 testing comes to an end.

With respect to the larger questions, with no meetings in Ft. Lauderdale or
Bath, unfortunately the exploder has become the only avenue for discussions
between people interested in P28. While, we too are trying to getting
something standardized as soon as possible, we're also trying to understand
what that should really mean. We are not changing any agreed process by
initiating issue discussions, even the uncomfortable ones, on this exploder.
Everyone realizes they are just discussions, not agreed ballot resolutions.
So, I don't share your concern that SC4 experts will feel cut off by
discussions on an email exploder.

Cheers,
David