[wg11] Part 28 Ballot Resolution meeting

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Thu May 20 11:11:41 EDT 2004

Ed,

I understand the formal ISO process and agree with your description. Also, I
have no problem with the ballot workshop in August - other Europeans may
have issues about holiday though. That's not what I'm really asking about.
By the way, I don't know why, but SC4 has ever called it an "Editing
Meeting", we've always called it the "Ballot Comment Resolution Workshop" or
similar.

Back to my concern...

In SC4, the practice has not been for projects to avoid SC4 meetings. On
Part 28, delegations are being asked to vote on a document after no meetings
with the project team since October of last year. That's why I suggested not
having a meeting in Bath was not a good idea. So far, the team has been
great in responding to issues on the exploder. However, that's not always
sufficient as the discussions are spread over weeks in some cases.

On: "A Part 28 meeting in Bath can have no possible result.  The
ballot/comment period will not yet have closed."

I beg to disagree. No opportunity for the team to explain the approach and
technical details may result in more NO votes being registered. In fact,
many project teams make a point of hosting tutorials *while the document is
out for ballot* exactly to help people understand the draft and provide
comments based on a better understanding. For something as complex as Part
28, "throwing it over the wall" to SC4 members is an unfortunate path to
take.

Apologies if my first email wasn't clear enough about the concern I was
trying to raise.

Cheers,
David