SEDS on EXPRESS: USE FROM on

Alan R Williams alanrw at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 09:51:43 EST 2004

<wg11 at steptools.com>, "pfAeroFW, ISOWG12" <ISOWG12 at IMC7.EMS.LMCO.COM>
> Subject: SEDS on EXPRESS: USE FROM on

Hello Lothar,

[snip]
> Section 2.  ENHANCEMENT AND DISCREPANCY INFORMATION (completed by Author of
SEDS Report):

> Author: Lothar Klein
> Email Address: lothar.klein at lksoft.com
> Part and Clause where Issue Originates: ISO 10303-11, clause 11.1
> Other Parts Affected by the Issue:
> Related Issues:
> Summary/Abstract/Keywords: USE FROM *all* on non-data-type items
> Problem Description:
> With a USE FROM *all* only all the data types get interfaced, but not
> functions, procedures and constants. To get them in as well an
> additional REFERENCE FROM *all* would be needed. Since USE FROM on a
> data type takes precedence over a REFERENCE FROM this is not what
> schema developer like to do.
>
> Conditions Under Which the Issue Was Discovered:
> Module development

I'm probably being dense but I don't see why this is a problem.  Can you give an
example of a case where the REFERENCE FROM + USE FROM combination does not work?

> Proposed Solution (Optional):
> After this sentence
> "If there are no named_types specified, all of the named data types
>  declared within or use’d by the foreign schema are treated as if
>  declared locally."
> add
>
> "In addition all of the following EXPRESS items declared within or
> referenced by the foreign schema are made visible in the current
> schema:
>  - Constant;
>  - Function;
>  - Procedure."

That could make some currently correct models incorrect as they could now have
name clashes due to the newly visible objects.  Have all the STEP models been
checked to ensure there won't be a problem?

> Section 3.  RESPONSE INFORMATION (completed by SEDS Resolution Team Leader):
>

> If Accepted, Resolution:
>

> Section 4.  FOLLOW-UP INFORMATION (completed by WG Convener):
>
> Class:
> Further Action Required:
> Action Required by SEDS Coordinator/WG Conveners/QC/SC4:

Alan

Alan Williams, Room IT301, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Tel: +44 161 275 6270      Fax: +44 161 275 6280