Need for expertise

Lothar Klein lothar.klein at lksoft.com
Tue Nov 19 12:42:54 EST 2002

I wonder how this example could be valid according to the general
EXPRESS re-declaration philosophy on attributes.
So far the domain of a re-declared attribute was always a
specialization of the previous domain.

An instance of a compound_representation_item in a p21-file looks like
this:

#2373=COMPOUND_REPRESENTATION_ITEM('...',LIST_REPRESENTATION_ITEM((#2375,#2376)));

But if we would follow the given example then we should decode the subtype
as

#2373=DOUBLE_TOLERANCED_MEASURE_ITEM('...',(#2375,#2376));

which is quite different.
This example makes clear that the domain of "item_element" in the
subtype is no longer a specialization of the supertype.

If someone thinks this is no problem then let us define one more
entity, e.g.:

ENTITY blablabla_item
  SUBTYPE OF (compound_representation_item);
  SELF\compound_representation_item.item_element : SET[2:2] OF representation_item;
END_ENTITY;

And now please write down an instance which is both, a blablabla_item
and a double_toleranced_measure_item. Would like to see this.

So my answer to Pascal is:
EXPRESS unfortunately does not support re-declaration of these kind of defined_types
such as list_representation_item and set_representation_item. So you
better write a rule in the subtype to further constrain the population.

Lothar

P.S: Besides the EXPRESS problems I have some doubts of defining one
more AIM-entity on tolerances. Already today we have in-compatible
tolerance models in AP210 and 214. The 210 tolerance model is about 3
times more complex than the 214 model - but neither of them got
implemented till today as far as I know.
I wonder what is the benefit to have one more model?
And please don't forget the outstanding SEDS on part47.

> Pascal,

> According to TC2 your code should be allowed.
> However, please realise that TC2 never seems to have made it to Geneva!
> Dave and I asked a number of times about this and never got a straight
> answer from Teresa.

> Therefore it is highly likely that tools will not yet support this level
> of complexity until Ed2 is released (including all the TC2 changes).
> My tool (Eep) doesn't support this at present, it is on my list of
> things to do!

> Phil

epresentation_item>> representation_item;

--
// Lothar Klein, LKSoftWare GmbH
// Steinweg 1, 36093 Kuenzell, Germany