Comments on WG11 N197 (EXPRESS Ed2 Annex G)

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Tue Oct 29 05:16:22 EST 2002

Peter,

To give the people attending the EXPRESS 2 issue resolution session in
Seoul something to talk about I would like to address some of you
issues.

Short to long conversion:
Although I agreed that there are two separate processes and these could
be documented separately. I think this then leads to the issue you have
identified, that if you have two processes, then based on which order
you perform the processes, you get different results. Therefore I would
argue that we should define a single process of how to get from E2Short
to E1Long, this may be documented as two steps, but with a clear
statement that both steps must be performed and in the order specified
to achieve the required results, any deviation from this process would
fall outside the scope of the standard.

Instantiability in long forms:
I would argue that each entity which is interfaced either implicitly or
via a REFERENCE statement should result in a global rule which ensured
that it was used in some role possibly:
RULE independent_x FOR (x);
WHERE
  x = QUERY(i <* x | SIZEOF(ROLESOF(i)) > 0);
END_RULE;

Another thing which we have not considered until now is the name space
issues associated with producing a long-form. I know that we should not
have a problem within STEP, since WG4 stated that all names should be
unique across the whole of STEP, but in the general case we cannot
assume this. Therefore I would propose that we have a simple name
mangling process (much easier than the short name generator!) which
causes every implicitly interfaced item to have a new name, I would
suggest that we use a trailing underscore character to indicate that
this is an implicitly interfaced name. This would apply to all entities,
types, constants, functions, procedures and rules that were implicitly
interfaced.

Phil