EXPRESS language version identifier

Wilson, Peter R peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Thu Jun 13 15:44:53 EDT 2002

Ed and WG11,

    See my comments below

Peter W.

Dr Peter R. Wilson
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
PO Box 3707, MS 6H-AF, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
(Package Delivery: MS 6H-AF, 1601 E. Valley Frontage Road, Renton, WA 98055)
Tel: (425) 237-3506, Fax: (425) 237-3428
Email: peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
--------------------------------
Any opinions expressed above are personal;
they shall not be construed as representative of any organisation.
--------------------------------

    The view from my part of the world is that even if the usefulness of the
language-version-id is extremely limited, it is essential for long term STEP
data retention.

    The Wilson/Spiby interpretation is a seperate issue.

> If the Wilson interpretation of <syntax> is chosen, however, the
> language-version-id may be critical to the interpretation of
> the exchange
> schema for a population, and I agree with Dr. Wilson and Kikuchi-san.
> But I think we must then also have an Annex that explains how
> to do that
> interpretation, particularly for EXTENSIBLE types.  (Because
> version(4)
> retains SUPERTYPE OF, the interactions of SUPERTYPE and
> SUBTYPE_CONSTRAINT
> must be specified in all cases.)
>
> I would also observe that, "before modules", *all* IRM
> elements interfaced
> into an AIM exchange schema are always interpreted in the
> context of the
> AP/AIM, i.e. the context of the ARM mapping.  So the Spiby
> interpretation
> is consistent with the 1994 STEP architecture.  But "with
> modules", it is
> to be expected that module schemas will always be interpreted in the
> context of that module, no matter what exchange schema they
> are interfaced
> into.  So the Wilson interpretation is consistent with the 2002 STEP
> architecture.  There will of course be no "version(3)"
> modules, but it
> may be very important to know which ones are "version(4)" modules when
> we have Express version(5)!
>
> I think I am now coming to agree with Kikuchi-san that we
> should retain
> the language-version-id construct.  The other requirements
> above, however,
> that result from the "Wilson interpretation" would then apply:
> - we need to define the interpretation of <syntax> in the
> standard, or
> revise Part 1 to define it in relationship to modules; and
> - we need to explain the interpretation of "cross-version
> interfacing".

    Having performed some Edition 2 to Edition 1 mappings I have come to the
conclusion that such a mapping only gives usable results in the case of
mapping an Edition 2 long form to an Edition 1 long form. In general,
mapping of seperate Edition 2 schemas to edition 1 schemas
and then creating an Edition 1 long form from the resulting mapped schemas
does not produce the same model as creating an Edition 2 long form and then
mapping that to Edition 1.

    A multi-schema Edition 2 model can not be mapped to an equivalent
multi-schema Edition 1 model.

    I don't think that I am any longer particularly concerned as to whether
the Wilson or the Spiby interpretation is picked (i.e., one id for the lot
or one id per schema). However, no matter which, the DAM must explain
clearly the consequences of whichever is finally selected.

> It will be obvious from the foregoing (and from my previous
> vacillation
> on this issue) that I believe that both positions are valid.
> It is the
> still-ill-defined morass of "modules" that leads me to support
> Kikuchi-san's position.
>
> -Ed
>
> P.S. I believe that the vocal US delegation is now 2-1 in
> favor of the
> Japanese position, whereas we were 2-1 in favor of the French
> position
> a month ago. ;-)  To follow ANSI rules, however, I would have to say
> this issue has never been formally resolved in the U.S.TAG
> and the U.S.
> has *no* position!

    The PS still stands for me.