Ed2 short to Ed1 long conversion

Wilson, Peter R peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Tue May 14 16:47:44 EDT 2002

Jochen,

    Here's a quick scenario. The only Ed2 to Ed1 conversion algorithm that I
have seen is in the Shtolo White Paper, and I may not be interpreting that
correctly, but here goes anyway. I'm also assuming that the final Ed2 will
not have language version identifier.

    The White Paper algorithm that I am using for mapping Ed2 ENUMERATIONS
to Ed1 is that any BASED_ON is extended to include all its "parents" items,
and that any EXTENSIBLE is extended to include all the items in BASED-ONs of
the EXTENSIBLE that are visible to it.

******** A couple of schemas and Ed2 to Ed1 mappings

SCHEMA s1; -- Ed2
  TYPE colour = EXTENSIBLE ENUMERATION OF (p); END_TYPE;
  TYPE traffic_light = ENUMERATION BASED_ON colour WITH (r, y, g); END_TYPE;
END_SCHEMA;

SCHEMA s1; Ed1 mapped from the Ed2 s1
  TYPE colour = ENUMERATION OF (p, r, y, g); END_TYPE;
  TYPE traffic_light = ENUMERATION OF (p, r, y, g); END_TYPE;
END_SCHEMA;

SCHEMA s2; -- Ed2
  USE FROM s1 (colour);
  TYPE rainbow = ENUMERATION BASED ON colour WITH (v, i, b, g, y, o, r);
END_TYPE:
END_SCHEMA;

SCHEMA s2; -- Ed1 mapped from Ed2 s2 and Ed1 s1
**** ERROR colour is not extensible
END_SCHEMA s2;

SCHEMA s2; -- Ed1 mapped from Ed2 s1 and Ed2 s2
  USE FROM s1 (colour);
  TYPE rainbow = ENUMERATION OF (v, i, b, g, y, o, r); END_TYPE;
END_SCHEMA;

**** Short to long versions of SCHEMA s2

SCHEMA s2long; -- Ed2 long version of Ed2 s2 and s1
  TYPE colour = EXTENSIBLE ENUMERATION OF (p);
  TYPE rainbow = ENUMERATION BASED ON colour WITH (v, i, b, g, y, o, r);
END_TYPE;
END_SCHEMA;

SCHEMA s2long; -- Ed1 version converted from s2long Ed2 version
  TYPE colour = ENUMERATION OF (p, v, i, b, g, y, o, r); END_TYPE;
  TYPE rainbow = ENUMERATION OF (p, v, i, b, g, y, o, r); END_TYPE;
END_SCHEMA;

SCHEMA s2long; -- Ed1 long version of Ed1 s2 and s1
  TYPE colour = ENUMERATION OF (p, r, y, g); END_TYPE;
  TYPE rainbow = ENUMERATION OF (p, v, i, b, g, y, o, r); END_TYPE;
END_SCHEMA;

    Interesting, isn't it?

Peter W.

Dr Peter R. Wilson
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
PO Box 3707, MS 6H-AF, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
(Package Delivery: MS 6H-AF, 1601 E. Valley Frontage Road, Renton, WA 98055)
Tel: (425) 237-3506, Fax: (425) 237-3428
Email: peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Any opinions expressed above are personal;
they shall not be construed as representative of any organisation.