E2 to E1 SHTOLO test files

Wilson, Peter R peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Tue May 7 18:38:32 EDT 2002

All,

    Just to jump in again, I think the situation we have is a bit more
complex than Phil likes to think of it.

    I know that I originally mentioned files, but that is not the basic
point. We have to deal with a collection of schemas, whether they are in one
file or multiple files.

    STEP has a collection of schemas, most (all?) of which are Ed1. Modules
are planning on using Ed2, and I am also producing Ed1 IRs
leading to an Ed2 AP (hopefully using modules).

    We can parse each schema seperately, but unless the schema is completely
self-contained there will be unidentified references. Generally speaking, it
will be necessary at some point to handle multiple schemas with no guarantee
that they will all be Ed1 or all Ed2; more likely in future the guarantee is
that they will be mix of Ed1 and Ed2.

    We do have to check that a schema corresponds to Ed1 or Ed2 as
appropriate, and that a mix of Ed1 and Ed2 schemas do form a complete model.
We either have to parse and `link' and link a collection
of Ed1 and Ed2 schemas, or we have to seperately parse a collection of Ed1
schemas and a collection of Ed2 schemas and then link the two collections.

    Any future Shtolo process will have to handle Ed1 and Ed2
simultaneously.

    We must not force parser vendors into a parse and then link process, the
LRM must let them be free to decide how they can best deal with an Ed1/Ed2
collection.

    Granted Ed1 schemas can be parsed by an Ed2 parser, but the reverse is
not true. A parser must know what it is expected to parse. If Ed3 does
miraculously appear then the situation will be worse than it is now, as
since it plans on getting rid of SET it means that an Ed3 parser will not be
able to parse Ed1 or Ed2.

    Better fix the problem now. The EXPRESS Committee has had enough bitter
experiences in not fixing something that was bad.

    Ed suggested that either the language_version_id goes with "all the
schemas you need" or "each schema seperately". My answer is that it has to
be "each schema seperately".

Peter W.

Dr Peter R. Wilson
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
PO Box 3707, MS 6H-AF, Seattle, WA 98124-2207
(Package Delivery: MS 6H-AF, 1601 E. Valley Frontage Road, Renton, WA 98055)
Tel: (425) 237-3506, Fax: (425) 237-3428
Email: peter.r.wilson at boeing.com
Any opinions expressed above are personal;
they shall not be construed as representative of any organisation.