Identification of Express Version

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Fri May 3 17:45:45 EDT 2002

Dave,

I think we may be getting somewhere here!

If there was a syntactic element at this point, such as the ASN.1 text, then
the vendors would either be:
 1. processing this syntactic element and parsing according to this level of
conformance,
 2. processing this syntactic element, possibly issuing a warning that not
all features were supported, then validating against a previous version of
EXPRESS
 3. ignoring the syntactic element, and just validating against a previous
version of EXPRESS
 4. expecting a specific syntactic element and then falling over if an
unexpected (probably later) one occurred.

In my opinion, options 1,2 and 4 are acceptable to the developers, since
they say effectively:
 1 - The vendor is aware and implemented the most recent changes.
 2 - The vendor is aware, but not implemented the most recent changes.
 4 - The vendor is either un-aware, or has made a business decision not to
implement the latest changes.

A developer could decide to use tools from vendors supporting 2 & 4 if they
do not depend on schemas which use later versions of EXPRESS.

> So in 2002, we would have schemas with version(1), version(2), and
> version(3).  Seems like this makes life more confusing for the schema
> developers, without changing the status quo on parser compliance.
>

> 					       - Dave

- Phil