EXPRESS DAm -- A request from the Part 108 folk

Bernd G. Wenzel bg_wenzel at csi.com
Sat Mar 9 11:16:05 EST 2002

Ed,

I have to admit, that I'm in nasty mode right now, but according
to my understanding, all these requirements have been taken care
of in the context of a language called EXPRESS-3. This project
has been cancelled not too long ago, because the EXPRESS DAM was
considered to contain "all concepts from EXPRESS-3, which are of
real value for SC4". Did we make a mistake?

I see 2 solutions:

Solution 1:
We try to do the simple and obvious thing - as last time - and
steal from EXPRESS-3 just the minimum concepts, for which we see
a requirement right now, to incorporate them into the EXPRESS
DAM.
This will delay the EXPRESS DAM and all work depending on it,
such as the STEP Modularization. In addition, I'm fairly certain,
that we will face the same situation again; Any ideas, which
EXPRESS-3 concept we will identify as necessary before the
extended EXPRESS DAM will be finished?

Solution 2:
We go ahead with the EXPRESS DAM as scoped so far and re-start
and of course re-fund the EXPRESS-3 project. I understand, that
this is going to cause an unacceptable delay for P108, but I
haven't heard them crying when EXPRESS-3 was shot down. I'm sorry
to say so, but they are not going to get, what they didn't ask
for during the process of the EXPRESS-3 cancellation.

I'm sure, that not everyone on the CC list will consider my
comments constructive, but that's not really my problem. The
EXPRESS team has always done a good job anticipating the
modelling requirements for SC4 ahead of time. It is my
understanding, that EXPRESS-3 could be at least on FDIS level by
now, if the efforts and resources invested into the EXPRESS DAM
would have been directed to the EXPRESS-3 project. In particular,
nobody would have been able to argue, that the only reason for
the EXPRESS-3 project was to secure Phil Spiby's travel funding
in this case.

:-) Bernd
Bernd G. Wenzel
Ganghoferstraße 7b