SEDS for ISO 10303-11

Jochen Haenisch Jochen.Haenisch at epmtech.jotne.com
Thu Nov 29 11:33:53 EST 2001

Hmmm ... I think I go into your text below.

	JH: maybe ... ?!?
> In other words, through assignment you've forced that
> one value of x, which is declared as a BAG, into behaving as if it was a
> SET?
	JH: Well, x is declared as a BAG; the value that is assigned to x is
a SET. So, the BAG behaves as a SET after the assignment. We seem to agree
on the problem statement, yes.

> If this is the case, then logically shouldn't TYPEOF only return SET,
> not BAG and SET, as the type of the x value?
	YES - this seems to be the functionality that the user is interested
in!! Agreed.
	In some cases one also needs the ISKINDOF-functionality. The two
usages, however, need to be distinguishable. Two keywords may be better than
one!

> I was beginning to that that perhaps the SEDS was really asking for an
> INSTANCEOF function, like the one you mentioned from SDAI. However, if
> assignment limits further changes to a value then it goes beyond that.
	JH: Yes, an instanceof or we call it: IS function. It sounds like a
good idea to distinguish this issue from the assignment issue. Concerning
this latter one: is this so disputable? The LRM says in 13.3, Assignment
statement:
	"If the expression to the right of the assignment statement is an
entity instance, then the assignment
	statement assigns a reference to that entity instance to the local
variable or parameter. After such an assignment, changes to the local
variable or parameter are rejected in the original instance. An assignment
statement may also be used to copy values to a local variable or instance,
when they are declared to be non-entity data types."
	Well, yes, entity instances seem to be OK, but things like NUMBER
and aggregates are maybe not. Right?

	Regards, Jochen.