SEDS for ISO 10303-11

David Price david.price at eurostep.com
Thu Nov 29 07:56:34 EST 2001

Hi Jochen,

My two kroner...

I do agree NUMBER is a strange datatype but I'm not sure that means the
relationship between it and a specialiation of it should be treated
differently OR do you mean for this to apply to more than NUMBER?

> An implementation will nontheless keep track of the actual type of an
> object. So, why not give the user the (necessary) possibility to
> query this?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to assume this for all implementations.
Functionally, NUMBER is treated like REAL in many of the 20s series parts so
implementations may lose the distinction. However, I've not implemented this
myself so will leave that issue to others.

Cheers,
David