So you say you want a revolution

Ed Barkmeyer edbark at cme.nist.gov
Fri Oct 26 13:34:44 EDT 2001

David Price wrote:
> So, P21 could say to ignore any attribute that does not have a type
> that is instantiable. Then these attributes, all with the same name,
> would simply appear in the subtypes, not in the ABSTRACT ENTITY.

The problem with this approach is that the attribute may be
redeclared
in more than one subtype in a complex entity instance, and you
get n
copies of the attribute, hopefully all with the same value.

> I'm not necessarily suggesting that I think this is the best approach.
> I'm just suggesting that there is more than one way to address this issue.

Agreed.  There certainly are multiple approaches to solving this
problem
technically.

-Ed

Edward J. Barkmeyer                       Email: edbark at nist.gov
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8260          Tel: +1 301-975-3528
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8260               FAX: +1 301-975-4482

and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."