So you say you want a revolution

Phil Spiby Phil.Spiby at eurostep.com
Fri Oct 26 04:25:36 EDT 2001

Ed,

You are almost, but not quite right (according to the DAM) with regard to
the need for the ABSTRACT keyword. The DAM states that only abstract
entities may have non-concrete attribute specifications, an abstract entity
is an entity which contains the just the keyword ABSTRACT, so the example
should be:

ENTITY approval ABSTRACT;
  something_that_is_the_approver  : GENERIC;
  somethingelse_that_is_approved  : GENERIC;
END_ENTITY;

The traditional abstract supertype mechanism is still available in the DAM,
but deprecated inside the entity, the subtype constraint mechanism is
recommended.

The reason for the differences is that abstract supertype is a constraint,
which in the DAM can now also be applied in interfacing schemas, and an
abstract entity is the addition of a capability (bit vague I know, but it
was strongly suggested that we separated these two capabilities!)

With respect to the revolution etc, I agree with Bernd and Ed in that what
we have here is a compromise between the rigid structures liked by tool
vendors, and the flexibility required by the modellers when developing AM's.

Phil