Part 21 support for GENERIC data type

Dave Loffredo loffredo at steptools.com
Wed Oct 24 17:44:10 EDT 2001

>>>>> "Ed" == Ed Barkmeyer <edbark at cme.nist.gov> writes:

Ed> The problem is as follows:

Hi Ed, thanks for your thorough analysis in items 1-6.  You picked
up on some new cases that we missed during the discussion at Fukuoka
(LIST/SET/etc of GENERIC).  Thanks also for the input on Part 28.

As you confirmed, Part 21 WILL need changes (amendment/new edition)
to support this.

As far as the specifics go, I'm sure we can devise some new encoding
for P21 and the other 2x series.  But the real questions to ask are:

   1) Who will do the work to produce yet another edition?
   2) Why will the vendors and users want to undergo another
      iteration to a basic part of STEP?

						- Dave