Required PDF for STEP Modules Ballot

Julian Fowler jfowler at pdtsolutions.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 07:07:20 EST 2000

David, Gerry, et al

For documents produced in HTML I see the PDF version playing two
roles:

1. Allowing those requiring the document on paper to obtain and print
it in the simplest manner possible

2. Allowing distribution of a version that preserves the editors'
intentions with respect to font, layout, etc., where this may vary in
different browsers or with the reader's configuration of a brower.
This aspect may be important if the editor has made use of style
sheets within the HTML (see, for example, the SC4 Quality Manual for
which I generated PDF to allow for this).

I don't believe that either of these requirements demands the
inclusion of hyperlinks within the PDF. If they can be generated
without additional effort by the editor/project team then there is no
reason that they should *not* be included. However, I can see no
reason to mandate their inclusion.

regards
Julian

--
Julian Fowler, PDT Solutions
Telephone: +44 15242 63389 Mobile: +44 7939 276005
Fax: +44 870 052 3414 Email: jfowler at pdtsolutions.co.uk
http://www.pdtsolutions.co.uk