[step-manufacturing] UUID - JSON train of thought

Thomas Thurman thomas.r.thurman at imonmail.com
Thu Jun 29 12:45:11 EDT 2023

Hi Martin,
To answer "which one" in the context of AP 242 proposed EXPRESS mim model,
The uuid_attribute in the proposed EXPRESS mim model has two fundamental attributes:
STEP object reference
UUID value

So to answer the question of the STEP instance data set requires a db call onto the STEP instance data set that dereferences the UUID to the STEP instance record.

The current proposed (CAX-IF) recommended practice bases the value of the UUID on the persistent existence of an internal CAD object and its ID.
Not on its other properties nor relations to other product data.
The internal CAD object ID persists for the lifetime of the CAD model.

We need to be very clear on this distinction.
What information to be gleaned from the dereferenced STEP instance record is another discussion.

Tom
Added Asa to ensure we are conveying consistent information to this audience and to the CAX-IF.