[step-manufacturing] Testing digital twin manufacturing using the AS1 assembly

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Jul 18 11:00:14 EDT 2022

All,

We are testing digital twin manufacturing using the AS1 assembly.

The assembly is fastened using six nut/bolt combinations, and each one
needs to be given individual identification as it is inserted into the
assembly, so that it can be given unique characteristics and properties.

I think we all agree that at least part of this identification should be
a serial number, but we disagree on how the serial number should be
stored in the STEP data.

 1. Option 1 is to store the serial number in the id attribute of the
    product entity.
 2. Option 2 is to store the serial number in the id attribute of the
    product_definition entity.

While somewhat arcane, the first definition keeps a clean separation
between design and manufacturing because each of the six products has a
different existence and identification.

The second definition enables more data sharing between the instances
which allows for the possibility that design and manufacturing will
occur in tandem, with some design changes occurring during the
manufacturing, and this is one of the goals of digital twin manufacturing.

--
Martin Hardwick
President STEP Tools, Inc.