[step-manufacturing] Minutes of April 11 conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Apr 13 14:11:00 EDT 2018

Attendees:

Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
Thanh Hyun, Okuma, USA
Ted Driggs, Okuma, USA
Liming Li, JSL Innovations, USA,
Bob Ericksson, P&W, USA
Tahany El-Wardany, UTRC, USA
Clinton Christian, Renishaw, Canada
Jay Um, DFK, Germany
Daniel, Niederwestberg, DMG, Germany
MIchael Kirbach, DMG, Germany
Marco Elkendorf, DMG, Germany
Alian Brail, Airbus (retired), France
John Bijnens, KU Leven, Belgium,
Rudi Gruteke, Iscar, Israel

We reviewed the stage models for the grand challenge.

Two errors were noted: (i) the pockets on the Stage 1 model are too
deep; and (ii) the Stage 2 model has five axis faces.

In addition we may want to change the stage 1 model to remove more
material from the top half because the top wall is lower than the bottom
wall.

We discussed the tooling and suggested we may want to include a basic
solution that uses a minimum number of commonly available tools, and an
advanced solution that uses the best available tools.

The basic solution will then be easily available for those who want to
reproduce our results, while the advance solutions will show the
advantages of using better machines.

We have now moved to a weekly schedule so the next call will be at the
regular times on April 18.

Martin Hardwick
Convener WG15 Digital Manufacturing