[step-manufacturing] Minutes of July 26th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Jul 28 14:57:24 EDT 2017

Attendees:

Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
Thanh Huynh, Okuma, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
John Horst, NIST USA
Bob Ericksson, P&W, USA
Liming Li, MELA, USA
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
John Bijnens, KU Leuven, Belgium

We reviewed the results of the DMDII demonstration. They can  be found
at: http://www.steptools.com/demos/mtc/. The web site shows the
as-executed machining and probing. A video is being made to describe the
results and why they are important.

We discussed the possible inclusion of QIF into the work program of
WG15. QIF is an ANSI standard developed by the DMIS organization. A key
value add of QIF is that it can be used to report how well a part meets
its tolerances. The schema used for the report is called QIF Results and
we agreed that this would be a good candidate for the first phase of the
standardization. A key question that needs to be answered is how to
resolve differences between the model based definition used in QIF, and
the model based definition of STEP. They are quite similar but different
because one is defined as an XSD and the other is defined in EXPRESS.
ISO desires harmonization so there is only one normative model for
implementation. We agreed to investigate using Part 28 to generate an
XSD from STEP and to continue our investigations into the use of UUID's
to identify when two definitions are the same in different implementations.

We discussed the Grand Challenge for IMTS 2018 and JIMTOF 2018.  We
agreed that the Fishhead should be the primary test part. We are still
refining our plans and will continue to do so until the end of August.
The current plan is described in the attached document.

We are converging on a challenge where we will ask vendors to machine a
range of test parts from STEP-NC. We will then validate those parts for
conformance to the design tolerances using one of the following methods:

1. Deliver the part to a central location for measurement on a CMM.
2. Send coordinates measured by an on-machine touch probe to a central
location using a low speed MTConnect.
3. Send machining coordinates using a high speed MTConnect so that we
can make a digital twin model for measurement.

To participate a vendor will need to be able to machine from STEP-NC
and, if method 2 is chosen, to also touch probe using STEP-NC.

In addition we will be encouraging vendors to use the STEP-NC to enhance
machining accuracy, to automate machining safety, to implement adaptive
programming, and to enable dynamic feed-speed optimization. However
these demonstrations will be optional. Vendors can participate at either
IMTS 2018, JIMTOF 2018 or both.

The next conference call will be on August 9th.

Recorded by Martin Hardwick
Convener ISO STEP WG15 Digital Manufacturing