[step-manufacturing] Minutes of January 25th telecon

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Jan 30 06:55:26 EST 2017

Attendees
--------------

Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Christian Callet, Datakit, France
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
John Bijnens, KU Leuven, Belgium
Suk-Hwan Suh, POSTECH, Korea
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Bob Ericksson, P&W, USA
Ted Driggs, Okuma, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Asa Trainer, ITI, USA
Michaal Howard, UILabs, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Ashraf Suri, General Electric, USA

We discussed the digital thread demonstration to be given over the web
on March 1st.

Our digital thread consists of three standards: STEP, MTConnect and QIF.

The March 1st demonstration will feature virtual probing of a digital
twin model using the three standards. A STEP model will be virtually
machined from an MTConnect recording of the Mukilteo demonstration. A
twin will be machined in Troy, and measurements of the twin will be sent
to an MTConnect agent in Chicago for analysis. The Chicago agent will
measure the result for conformance to the STEP design tolerances using
CMM software and deliver a report as a QIF file.

The March 1st demonstration will measure a virtual twin model, so we
should follow with a real machining demonstration using real probing to
verify the results.

We discussed the possibility of doing this on May 23rd at the DMDII in
Chicago.

For a May 23 demonstration we need to decide if we would prefer to use a
Haas or a DMG, and we need decide if we will machine and measure one of
our test parts (e.g Boxy or Moldy), or a new test part being developed
for the DMDII "Factory of the Future".

A recording of the conference call is at:
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle8/WG15_STEP_Manufacturing_20170125.mp4

The next conference call will be held at the regular times on Wednesday
February 8th. A different web site will be used for this call so that we
can test the web seminar system we will be using for the March 1st
demonstration.

Martin Hardwick
Convener WG15 Digital Manufacturing