[step-manufacturing] Minutes of July 27 meeting

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Jul 27 15:24:31 EDT 2016

Attendees
--------------

Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
John Bijnens, KU Leuven, Belgium
Pierre Duchier, Airbus, France
Paul Huang, ONR, USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Dan Finke, Penn State University, USA
Caleb Severn, Penn State USA
Graham Hemingway, Vandebilt, USA
Larry Maggiano, Miututoyo, USA
Asa Trainer, ITI, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA

We discussed the latest version of the Machining Tool Advisor (new
name). The system has been extensively updated and many of the new
features are still being fine tuned so feedback is encouraged.
http://www.steptools.com/demos/mtc/

We decided that the tool pane should show minimal information about the
cutter until the new AP242 files with embedded ISO 13399 information
become available. We decided that the tolerance pane needs further work
but much of this is better UI design so we should wait until it has been
completed before we give further feedback.

There is a web page describing the project that you can visit to read
more. This web page includes a "likes" feature which you are encouraged
to use to give feedback to the interns doing the work. It will probably
not work while you are inside a corporate network so please do it from
home or using a smart phone. Unfortunately you have to register on a web
site to make the like but the site is harmless.
http://devpost.com/software/nc-js

Volume removal simulation is the big missing feature from the system.
This is being added by STEP Tools and Vanderbilt. The delta files being
generated by STEP are being tweaked by Vanderbilt to get better
consistency and performance. When the tweaks are finished STEP Tools
will update the data export and generate delta's for a large machining
program.

It is time to add the data that we will be using in the demonstration to
the web site. This will be done in the following stages:

1. Penn State will generate a titanium machining solution for the whole
of Boxy (even though we will only be machining setup's 1 and 2).
2. Mitutoyo will further enhance the tolerances that must be met by the
machining.
3. STEP will insert the Sandvik cutter into the solution.
4. Boeing will supply formulas to optimize the feeds by keeping the chip
thickness constant.

The new work item for the second edition of AP238 has been approved by
the member countries of ISO TC184/SC4. The title of the standard has
been changed from

/Industrial automation systems and integration — Product data
representation and exchange — Part 238: //Application
protocol://Application interpreted model for computerized numerical
controllers.///

to the following title

/Industrial automation systems and integration — Product data
representation and exchange — Part 238: //Model based integrated
manufacturing/

We agreed that the old title was too specific. We agreed that "Model
based machining" would also be too specific because the new standard can
be applied to many types of manufacturing operations including tape
layup, additive manufacturing, drill and fill operations and more.
"Model based manufacturing" was also suggested but we agreed this would
be too generic because many organizations can define models. Therefore,
"Model based integrated manufacturing", which was the title chosen at
the most recent ISO meeting is best because it calls out the particular
feature of AP238 which is the ability to integrate many types of
operations across the product life cycle from design to planning to
manufacturing.

Martin Hardwick
Digital Manufacturing Advisory Group Convener (soon to be WG15 again)

Action Items
-----------------
1. Graham Hemingway to document the enhancement required for the volume
removal delta files.
2. Joe Fritz to generate volume removal delta's for a larger data set.
3. Caleb Severn to generate a titanium machining solution for Boxy
4. Larry Maggiano to refine the tolerances that must be met by the
machining solution.
5. Martin Hardwick to assemble a new STEP-NC file for Boxy with all the
new features.
6. STEP Tools interns to put the new solution onto the Machining Tool
Advisor web site.
7. Leon Xu to generate an optimization algorithm for the Sandvik tool.