[step-manufacturing] Minutes of June 29th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Jun 30 10:11:24 EDT 2016

Attendees
--------------

Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Samson Bonfante, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Christian Callet, Datakit, France
JuMyung, POSTECH, Korea
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
Dan Finke, Penn State University, USA
Caleb Severn, Penn State USA
Graham Hemingway, Vanderbilt USA
Ted Driggs, Okuma, USA
Thanh Huyn, Okuma, USA
Larry Maggiano, Miututoyo, USA
Asa Trainer, ITI, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA

We reviewed the minutes of the Troy meeting.
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/Troy_meeting_results_and_action_items.pptx
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/Troy_meeting_report.docx

A dry run has been made of the machining on the Okuma. The run took four
hours to complete. The machine coordinates were sampled at about once
per second.
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/OKUMA.LOG

For the next run we will use a more optimized process and make
adjustments to get a better sampling rate.

We discussed the tooling optimization project. The optimization will be
demonstrated by showing the percentage improvement that can be made to
the feed using the currently computed cross section data. Leon Xu of
Boeing and Bengt Olsson of Sandvik will develop a formula for converting
the cross section data into an optimal feed.

We discussed the real time measurement project. A new set of semantic
tolerances will be developed using the STEP-NC Machine after it has been
updated to allow for better management of the tolerance names, UUID's
and precision.

We discussed the second edition of AP238. We agreed to review if the
mapping of ISO 13399 into AP242 can be used as template for mapping
machine, feature and operation models into AP238.
http://www.steptools.com/library/stepnc/2012_stockholm/

KTH will update the 2012 prototype for the latest version of AP242. STEP
Tools will extend STEP-NC Machine  so that it can show the ISO 13399
properties on top of the model tolerance data. KTH will define views so
that different users can be given presentations appropriate to their
current task.  Sandvik will add kinematics to the tool so that its
assembly can be adjusted.

We tested the NC.js product with multiple concurrent users.  NC.js is a
web version of STEP-NC Machine that enables machine program on the web
using JavaScript. The typical usage case is for three users to share a
model with the first user showing what has been developed, the second
user showing making suggestions for improvements and the third user
tracking the progress of the project. NC.js runs a machining program
simulation on a web site and in principle any number of users can access
that site so we did a quick test to see what would happen if many people
all did so at the same time. The model jumped around a lot as different
workingsteps and menu state were activated but the status remained good.
http://www.steptools.com/

The next meeting will be at the regular times on Wednesday July 13th.

A recording of this call is at the ftp address below
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/JWG_15_20160629.mp4

Martin Hardwick
Digital Manufacturing Advisory Group Convener

Action Items
1. Caleb Severn to make a new version of the machining data.
2. Sid Venkatesh to do a new dry run using the new data and an MTConnect
configuration that captures more points.
3. The cutter vendors to perform a final review of the machining data.
4. A first version of the optimization formula to be developed by Leon
Xu and Sid Venkatesh.
5. STEP-NC Machine to be updated to capture name and precision
information for a semantic tolerance