[step-manufacturing] Minutes of February 24th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Fri Feb 26 16:44:24 EST 2016

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Samson Bonfante, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Pierre Duchier, Airbus, France
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Christian Callet, Datakit, France
Leon Xu, Boeing, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
John HOrst, NIST, USA
Tom Raun, Iscar, USA
Paul Huang, ONR, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Dan Finke, Penn State University, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Thanh Huynh, Okuma, USA
Larry Maggiano, Miututoyo, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA

We decided the following will be featured in the October demonstration

1. Machining results will be computed in real time, and shown on the tablets and smart phones of the audience.
2. The machining results will be measured in real time on a virtual CMM, and then compared to the real results on a real CMM.
3. Tooling in the original program will be optimized to make the solution 15% more efficient (faster completion, less tool wear, or a desired mixture).

We decided the following points should be emphasized during the talking

1. The system operates in the cloud and takes STEP files and MTConnect as its inputs, and produces modified STEP files and QIF measurements as its outputs.
2. The tooling optimization is possible because of the measurements and can be done from remote locations using any CAM system that supports STEP interfaces.
3. In five years time every machine tool, cutter, workpiece and fixture will have a twin in the cloud.

We looked at the latest demonstration of the REST framework. The system
is now able to change workingsteps when the new tool is different.
http://www.steptools.com/demos/mtc/

TechSolve is sending a new MTConnect adapter to Boeing so that their DMG
machine can report results at 100ms intervals.

We discussed an update in the next version of Mastercam that will allow
it to read the STEP models of cutters.

A recording of this conference call is at the URL below:
ftp://downloads.steptools.com/private/JWG15/Cycle7/JWG_15_20160224.mp4

The next meeting will be at the regular times on March 9th.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader

Action Items