[step-manufacturing] Minutes of September 23rd conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Wed Sep 23 16:25:09 EDT 2015

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, AIrbus (retired), France
Christian Callet, Datakit, France
Andy Byrd, Okuma, USA
Zhigang Wang, Makino, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing, USA
Graham Hemingway, Vanderbilt, USA
Dan Finke, Penn State, USA
Allison Barnard-Feeney, NIST, USA
Bob Erickson, Pratt and Whitney, USA
Tom Raun, Iscar, USA

We reviewed the proposal to modularize AP238.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/MtG_II.pptx

The following are some reasons for modularizing AP238 version 2 and
making it part of AP242.
1. The same procedure has already been followed for the other active
Application Protocols (AP029 and AP210).
2. Having one Application Protocols for the whole of STEP will make it
easier for non-experts to understand.
3. We need to make STEP-NC seamlessly extensible so that new
functionality can be added for new types of processes.
4. Making STEP-NC an extension of STEP will allow the STEP-NC process
model to be reused for additive manufacturing.
5. The new document will be much smaller because we will only have to
create modules for functionality that is unique to STEP-NC.
6. The CAD/CAM vendors will be able to more easily implement their
STEP-NC translators as extensions of their STEP translators.

The disadvantage is that the differences between CAD to CAM, and CAM to
CNC, data exchange will become less clear when both are AP242.

We will demonstrate the advantages of the new modularity in a new Mind
the Gap II project. We will implement an open source DLL for adaptive
programming that uses the new modules to enable extensible
functionality. In the first phase two adaptive programming applications
will be implemented. The first will be an App to restart interrupted
machining. The second will be an App to speed-up or slow down machining.
The second will test the open functionality because some of the speed-up
algorithm will be company proprietary, and some will depend on
non-standard data that must come from the tool vendors.

The agenda for the Baltimore meeting is now finalized.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/Baltimore_meeting_agenda_details.pdf

We discussed progress on Mind the Gap I. The Vanderbilt JSON
specifications will be published shortly. The Penn State contract is
waiting signature. The GE development is going more slowly than
anticipated because other projects are getting higher priority. STEP
Tools is making progress on the tooling optimization and has completed
the code necessary to determine the contact area between the tool and
the part.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/Tooling.pptx
(example is for an unusual case)

A recording of this conference calls is on the web site at the address
below:
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/stepmanuf_telecon_20150923.mp4

The next conference call is planned for Wednesday October 7th.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing