[step-manufacturing] Minutes of April 15th conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Thu Apr 16 16:38:06 EDT 2015

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Julie Huang, Sandvik Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Christian Caillet, Datakit France
Charles Gilman, GE, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Than Huynh, Okuma, USA
Zhigang Wang, Makino, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing USA
Leon Xu, Boeing USA

We continued the discussion of the second edition of ISO 10303-238
STEP-NC. We decided to prepare a draft of the new edition for the SC4
meeting in Baltimore in October.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/Starting_AP238_Edition_2.pptx

The possibility of forming a joint working group has been explored with
TC29 and received a positive response:
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/ISO10303-238_edition_2_joint_working_group_20150416-1.pptx

The timing for a second edition is good because final testing projects
are now starting for Edition 1. This final testing will make sure the
standard has the capabilities necessary to enable model  based machining
in large enterprises. If successful then full scale deployment will
begin. Our ten years of testing have shown that model based machining is
15% more efficient than code based machining, and enables integrated
measurement.

In order to make the new draft we will continue testing edition 1. We
selected two targets for testing over the summer:
1. Multi-head machining programs
2. Very large files

When the new draft is ready we will formally start the second edition.
Organizations deploying the new standard will then be able to ensure
any  required changes are incorporated into the edition as issues are
found during the deployment.

A recording of this conference calls is on the web site at the address
below:
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/stepmanuf_telecon_20150415.wmv

The next conference call is planned for Wednesday April 29th.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing