[step-manufacturing] Minutes of April 1st conference call

Martin Hardwick hardwick at steptools.com
Mon Apr 6 10:38:26 EDT 2015

Attendees
--------------
Martin Hardwick, STEP Tools, USA
David Loffredo, STEP Tools, USA
Julie Huang, Sandvik Sweden
Bengt Olsson, Sandvik, Sweden
Mikael Hedlind, Scania, Sweden
Magnus Lundgren, KTH, Sweden
Torjsten Kjellberg, KTH, Sweden
Thomas Lundholm, KTH, Sweden
Alain Brail, Airbus (retired), France
Christian Caillet, Datakit France
David Madeley, Siemens, UK
Charles Gilman, GE, USA
Vincent Marchetti, Ameritech, USA
Tom Raun, Iscar, USA
Larry Maggiano, Mitutoyo, USA
Than Huynh, Okuma, USA
David Odendahl, Boeing USA
Sid Venkatesh, Boeing USA

We viewed the web page of an article on our meeting in Orlando.
http://www.controleng.com/single-article/companies-universities-collaborate-on-open-standards-to-help-cnc-machines-digital-manufacturing/365607a3867dbdbcd657a8d9fcf5864c.html

We discussed strategies for starting a second edition of ISO 10303-238
STEP-NC. Two documents that have been prepared.
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/ap238_stepnc_v2.pptx
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/AP238_ed2_proposal_from_KTH_and_Scania.pptx

The first edition had the title: " Application interpreted model for
computerized numerical controllers". It was suggested that the second
edition should have the title: "Integratedmodel for digital manufacturing".

The strategy for developing the first edition was to enable the
development of a solution using STEP technology so we formed a team
within the ISO working group that was developing Application Protocols.
The second edition needs wider attention. We have 10 years of testing
and shown the benefits. Therefore, we propose to create a joint working
group of all the interested parties. This may include TC184/Sc4, - the
ISO home of STEP, TC261 -the ISO home of additive manufacturing, TC29 -
the ISO home of cutting tools and TC184/Sc1- the ISO home of
manufacturing machines.

TC184/Sc1 and TC29 have meetings in April with members of
STEP-Manufacturing attending. We will suggest the formation of a new
joint working group at these meetings.

We reviewed the schedule for developing the three test parts. The GE
bracket is on schedule. Issues remain to be fixed for the CATIA export
for the CDS part. We have not yet been able to make a XML plan for Boxy.
Mitutoyo is making progress on developing tolerances for the CDS part
but we are having new issues in the AP238 export for Siemens.

A recording of this conference calls is on the web site at the address
below:
ftp://ftp.steptools.com/private/CAM_exchange/Cycle_6/stepmanuf_telecon_20150401.wmv

The next conference call is planned for Wednesday April 15th.

Martin Hardwick
Team Leader ISO STEP-Manufacturing